Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 13:54:06 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting quote from Bill Joy

If you asked anyone about any major project that they've worked on,
they'd say something similar.  And Joy worked on BSD *how* long ago --
fifteen years ago or so?

I look at some of the books I did back in 1992 and think "You know, if
I knew then what I know now..."

I can't bear to look at my work from 1986.  It's actively painful.

In 2011, I fully expect to look back on the BSD book I'm writing now
and say, "Oh, how ignorant and clumsy I was then..."

I think that if someone can't say the same thing, they aren't growing.
And that's just sad.

==ml

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 07:13:01PM +0200, Munish Chopra wrote:
> "If I had to rewrite Unix from scratch, I could do it in a summer,
> easily," says Joy. "And it would be much better. A much, much better
> job. The ideas are old."
>
> The above is a quote from a Salon article
> (http://www.salon.com/tech/fsp/2000/05/16/chapter_2_part_one/index.html),
> run about a year ago. This one has amused me over the past year several
> times - is he just blowing steam (I think the article rather politely
> says he always had a big mouth, and still does), or has he since made
> some more comments in this direction?
>
> The article is quite interesting by the way (that is unless you've been
> BSD for a long time already).
>
> --
> -Munish

Michael Lucas