Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:25:39 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com
Cc:        Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cant burn a cd iso

Hi Rick
Best re-read the thread from the beginning to avoid possible confusion.

> What do you mean "by default"?  sysutils/cdrtools is not part of the base
> installation of FreeBSD, that's why it's a port.  At some point down the
> line you installed sysutils/cdrtools.  I'm just suggesting that you should
> have installed sysutils/cdrtools-devel instead.

Original poster (installer) was Daniel, not Joerg.
Joerg is author of architecture neutral cdrtools sources.

> Yes, we all know your interpretation of the world "stable", which is not the
> expected meaning that FreeBSD folks generally intend when they use that
> term.

Agreed.  Joerg has an unusual use of the word stable, but
then when he started using that usage of stable, he didnt need to
conform to FreeBSD usage of word stable as:
  He was I think, a mostly Linux based developer of a cross platform
  source that also runs on *BSD.

  Even in FreeBSD, Stable only later came to mean the common English
  meaning of reliable, I remember several times people asserting all
  Stable meant was that the API (libs etc) avoided sudden changes like
  in current, didn't back then mean make world wouldnt break etc.

> I suspect the port maintainer for cdrtools made
> this assumption and choose "stability" over "possibly not tested as much".

Marius is MAINTAINER= of 2/3 ports wrappers, & he wrote:
	Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:21:01 +0200

	The main reason for still defaulting to cdrtools 2.01 is ....

> It seemed like you were being demanding from people who are volunteering
> their time.

Joerg & Marius contributed time respectively writing cdrtools & wrappers.
Thanks

Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys. Eng. Consultant Munich http://berklix.com