Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:27:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      chuck rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: pathchk

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:41:10 +0000 (GMT), =?iso-8859-1?q?Michael=20Henry?= <aviast@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > Are you proposing replacing "sizeof(char)" with "1"?
> > Surely the former is more clear?
>
> It makes it more clear that the author does not understand the C
> language, perhaps.

Grandiloquent nonsense.

> > On another point: what is the general consensus on casting
> > functions to void?
>
> I am of the opinion that it is silly.  Other reasonable people
> disagree.  (I happen to think that their reasons for disagreement are
> the result of inadequate tools, and the appropriate response is to fix
> the tool, not kluge up the source code.)

Agreed, but given the number such casts currently
peppered about in the source tree, and maybe some
of the recent arguments for __P() on -arch, should
this practice be continued?

I wouldn't mind hearing additional comments on
this topic since I have other things I'd like
contribute.

.cr