Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2019 23:15:45 -0000
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13
References:  <CAPyFy2Aa6Uj0nyQ1Y_KPLd7%2BROJ4xW5i-SpctV1sRVK_BivPHw@mail.gmail.com> <CAPyFy2D91v7SwjZOgMG0a9V%2BH6GVCF8NHKp341N8mwnCvA71cA@mail.gmail.com> <CAPyFy2BP3hFHuFJyo2M-5pc0%2BCmRiyym1TZ81P5xicR4zED1JQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPyFy2BXWPVOJo%2BGOf83sZFrPHE80-QvdHeWrhi%2BTdj0KDnThg@mail.gmail.com> <6d9f394c670a8426c61a3d075ffaf3e9@unrelenting.technology> <CAPyFy2DyRbjnvokS30kjJbtm4E%2BsqjD2zxAySKKhT1sz1tEojg@mail.gmail.com>

On 2019-Dec-3, at 04:28, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 10:12, <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:
>>=20
>> The Marvell/SolidRun MACCHIATObin is an affordable 4-core (Cortex =
A72)
>> with DDR4 (takes one full size DIMM), SATA, USB 3.0 and PCIe.
>> And most importantly, excellent firmware support (upstream =
EDK2+TrustedFirmware).
>> The PCIe is rather quirky (I really should make a proper blog post =
already)
>> but I have it working with a Radeon RX 480.
>> It can be a decent developer desktop if you're fine with
>> "2013 era ultrabook" levels of performance :D
>=20
> Yeah, it looks like a pretty good platform, if we can get past "quirky
> PCIe" to "buy x, y, z, install the image from https://..., and it will
> just work". I think the performance should be fine, stability and
> usability are more important.

The MACCHIATObin that I have access to (sometimes) was
from:

https://www.picocluster.com/products/pico-macchiatobin

But, with the top on, there is not much room above the
PCIe slot for the case involved: may be an inch or so.
(I've never used the PCIe slot.) The SSD mount place is
on the top piece. (There are pictures.)

Greg provided an edk2 based image for UEFI and I set the
jumpers to use it from the uSD card slot. I had to set it
to use ACPI information instead of dtb to get it to work.
It found and booted the SSD. It would be nice to have a
port that produced a similar image, possibly preset to
ACPI style.

(The uSD card choice avoided any potential of messing up
in a non-recoverable way in trying to update an on-board
area. Just my choice to use a simple dd to a uSD card.)

For EtherNet I'm using a USB3 adapter: none of the on
board EtherNet ports are supported (yet?). (The context
is based on head -r355027 currently.) I'm not sure about
having rc.conf cause DHCP handling for ue0 instead of
later. (ue0 not ready yet that early?) I've been doing
"dhclient ue0" later via the serial console.

I'm using a serial port connection and ssh access via
EtherNet, much like I do for an OverDrive 1000.

As stands, the boot messages between about the last from
the loader into some from world do not show up on the
serial port. (The MACCHIATObin is not configured for
video output so I do not know about what would show up
there if enabled.)

I've done buildworld buildkernel and built a few hundred
ports (multiple times). Other than points noted above,
I've not seen any oddities in such basic use.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went