Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 19:10:16 -0400
From:      mj001 <mj001@rogers.com>
To:        Jesus Cash <jesuscash@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yahoo!!!

Jesus Cash wrote:
> Mandrake was my Linux as choice as well. I totally see what you mean.
> These major distros are getting to be just like MS. Proprietary and
> bloated. I've mentioned this before, but I tried install Red Hat 9 on my
> dinky laptop, thinking I could just strip it down to basics. Nope, just
> said your computer is crap and can't install Red Hat 9.  Once I can get
> some working floppies (mine all crapped out when I carried them
> unprotected in my laptop bag) I'll install FreeBSD on it. Maybe I'll try
> my hand at loading OS/2 (I'm a little worried about trying to run
> XFree86 or any desktop on it).
>
> -B
>
> RexFelis wrote:
>
>> Here's another example why I use FreeBSD now...
>>
>> Why does it have to be such a hassle for me to
>> install a single program that I need under Linux?
>> I was trying to make custom recorded audio CDs
>> (not music CDs), like I used to in Win98 using
>> Voyetra's software.  I looked around and found
>> Audacity.  It looked good... but Linux Mandrake
>> made me crazy with dependencies.  FreeBSD just
>> downloaded and installed them.  3.5 days of
>> frustration in Linux, 35 minutes of surfing the
>> web while the program was downloaded, patched,
>> custom compiled and installed on FreeBSD.
>>
>> Linux seems to be heading in a couple of
>> directions I disagree with.  Dependency hell
>> whenever you try to do what YOU want to do is one
>> of them.  (Mandrake works great as long as you
>> only use Mandrake-prepackaged software.)  The
>> other is the growing commercialization of the
>> major distros.  I don't want shareholders telling
>> me how to run my computer!
>>
>> I agree with JC, FreeBSD is fun.  I was having
>> fun with Linux, until I realized what fun really
>> is.  :)  Freedom is always more fun.
>>
>> Shannon
>>
>> --- Jesus Cash <jesuscash@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm pretty much in the same boat as Shannon
>>> here. Maybe not as advanced in Linux, but there was just something in
>>> Linux
>>> that I felt was off. I've been telling people I've never said I love
>>> an OS before, but I love FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> As for learning curve? What learning curve? :P
>>> I pretty much just threw myself in and have been figuring stuff out for
>>> myself. Most importantly, it's been a FUN learning experience.
>>>
>>> -B

>> The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
>> http://search.yahoo.com

How big is your laptop?  I used to run FreeBSD and X-Windows (but not
KDE or GNOME) on a 486DX33 (non-laptop) with 20MB.  It worked, but was
somewhat slow.  A Pentium 120 with 48 MB runs KDE 3.0 quite well.  But a
NEC Versa LX laptop with 64 MB is impossibly slow - I suspect it may be
the disk speed.