Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:58:29 -0800
From:      Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components)

On Jan 5, 2019, at 07:16, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net> wrote:

>>> .
>>>=20
>>> FreeBSD should aim for that room, rather than become "Linux-sans-GPL"
>>=20
>> We should try to fit into the datacentre.
>>=20
> To whose gain?

See my previous reply: Dell (Isilon, etc), Juniper, Panasas (sp?), Sandvine,=
 WhatsApp (Facebook), etc.

Example: Facebook has toyed around with converting their entire WhatsApp fle=
et away from FreeBSD in the datacenter to FB Linux. Let=E2=80=99s give them l=
ess ammo to do so. They were a major financial contributor to the FreeBSD pr=
oject back a couple years ago, so like it or not, having FreeBSD be a compel=
ling project is helping finance your =E2=80=9Chobby OS=E2=80=9D.

Cheers,
-Enji=