Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2013 01:02:38 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        FreeBSD-net@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, Tom Pepper <tom@blorp.com>
Subject:   smbfs slow compared to smbclient

Hello!

I found this same question asked back in 2005, but never answered:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-September/098717.html

Today, 7 years later, using FreeBSD-9.1 I observe, that copying a file
to an SMB-server (a box with embedded Linux, actually), I get just under
1Mb/s using an smbfs mount.

On contrast, uploading the same file to the same remote host using
smbclient runs at between 8 and 9 Mb/s.

Is this a known discrepancy? Are there tweaks to be applied to the smbfs
mount, that can make it perform better? Thanks! Yours,

    -mi