Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:01:05 -0400
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Powerbook Setup

Paul Robinson wrote:
> See eBay. A Celeron-based Thinkpad with bluetooth shouldn't cost you
> more than $600. How much are iBooks and Powerbooks again? Even
> second-hand?

Thanks for making it clear you're trolling.  Comparing a G4 with a
celeron?

I admit a G4 can't compete with a newer P4 or Athlon in speed.  But
then, those things run way too hot for a laptop.  Most people don't
use their laptops for numbercrunching, and a powerbook is plenty fast
enough for office work, email, playing DVDs, even audio/video editing.

As for other frills: for $1599 you can get a powerbook (ibooks are
much cheaper)with a 1.33GHz P4, 256MB RAM, 60GB disk, NVidia GeForce
with 64MB DDR, ethernet, firewire, airport, bluetooth: see what that
costs you with IBM, or with HP or others for that matter.  And the
powerbooks are sleek, rugged, silent, comfortable, and the software
"just works".  You may not be impressed but your arguments don't make
sense.

> Try and get your screen replaced. Try and get the motherboard replaced.

Try doing those on any laptop.  Replacing the screen costs about as
much as a new machine.  I'd agree with everything you say --
overpriced, proprietary lock-in, etc -- on Apple desktops.  With
laptops, Apple are extremely competitive, and therefore are selling
very well, too.

Rahul