Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:53:56 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base  system components)

In message <0EB517DF-376E-435A-B24D-A4964D0F148F@gmail.com>, Enji
Cooper writes
:

> >> Because we offer some technologies the others do not. Unfortunately
> >> inferior and incompatible approaches (similarly: VHS vs BETA, Blue Ray
> >> vs HD) have left us on the outside. Try porting Kubernetes to FreeBSD.
> > no need to.
>
> Actually, not having Docker/Kubernetes support makes it more difficult to rid
> e the CI/distributed system wave, requiring FreeBSD to reinvent the wheel to
> do CI, and force various groups to write their own homegrown distributed syst
> ems infrastructures instead of leveraging existing technologies.
>
> >> The technologies used today are more than just fads. They are building
> >> blocks onto which future technologies will be built.
> >>
> > and this is really sad.
>
> Not really. It’s a sign of maturity as most things now run on a “cloud ba
> sed” infrastructure, or small embedded OSes running embedded Linux (not Fre
> eBSD).

> >> Niche. We should be more than simply a desktop O/S (which BTW I use as
> >> my primary desktop) and we should be more than a simple bare metal O/S.
> >
> > Simple bare metal O/S is what is really needed.
>
> Not really. As Cy pointed out, in order to ensure that FreeBSD is well-suppor
> ted by large companies (Dell, Facebook via WhatsApp, Juniper, and Sony were s
> ome of the large contributors over the past couple years, along with a host o
> f other smaller storage companies), so it continues to exist in a healthy way
> , it needs to be dynamic and customizable to meet the needs from embedded dev
> elopment up to large-scale distributed systems. A number of these companies h
> ave considered switching away from FreeBSD to Linux because FreeBSD is niche
> (see Microsoft with Hotmail, Yahoo, etc). Let’s not give developers willing
>  to make the switch more ammunition to do so.

This has everything to do with relevance. Look at where illumos and all
the other *BSDs are. They're pretty much hobbyist operating systems.
The discussion on an illumos developers mailing list has given me that
impression as well.

At $JOB my customers are migrating from AIX, Solaris and even Windows
to Linux and from traditional Linux to microservices run under
OpenShift. As I told my manager at $JOB those many years ago, the
operating system will become a stub. We are now realizing this.

The other thing I see at $JOB is the network is now being virtualized
using NSX. Our Checkpoint firewalls are no longer physical but virtual.
FreeBSD with jails and VIMAGE is in a great position to play in this
space as well. An example might be, at $JOB we are using vRO and vRA
but it could be as easily done using Kubernetes and ansible to
centrally manage network of virtual and physical FreeBSD based
firewalls.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>