Date:      Thu, 07 May 1998 20:47:29 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs woes

Eivind Eklund writes:
> > How much memory does it take? I only have 64M and another 128M of swap.
>
> That should be enough physical memory - the question is how your
> limits are set (ie, login.conf and ulimit are your friend.)

Am using (now) box-stock login.conf which says,
 $Id: login.conf,v 1.9.2.7 1998/03/09 03:03:23 steve Exp $

Looks like root logins are unlimited. I've been running cvs as root but
sometimes with a simple "su -m" and other times with "su -m -". Don't
remember which I used the times I locked up my system.

> > That's the strangest thing. "cvs update" was not restoring the deleted
> > directories.
>
> That's because they're missing from the metadata for CVS in their
> parent directory, thus CVS think they're directories you have created
> that just happen to be in the way of ones it would like to create.

Ah! So I need to clobber not only the problem directory but its parent
too.

> Strange.  Sound like a problem with the kernel ppp driver that is
> triggered by /usr/sbin/pppd running out of memory.

I've watched pppd with top and not observed that it took much memory. I
don't use cvs thru pppd, use cvsup for that. Was thinking it was more
Netscape related because that's where I was playing when suddenly
everything stopped.

> > So I'm tempting fate again. Haven't had a freeze since replacing a very
> > old /etc/login.conf. Netscape, pppd, and cvs are running at this very
> > moment. The freeze never occurs until cvs is very near the end of its
> > tasks.
>
> I believe cvs accumulate memory all through its task (ie, it doesn't
> free as much as it should), but I might be wrong.

Well, its probably login.conf releated as I haven't been able to
reproduce the problem since. Previously it would happen 4 out of 5
times. X would freeze solid. No mouse, no nothing. I could see incoming
traffic on the modem but no replies. Couldn't switch the console to a
vty. Turned the modem off and walked away. Same state the next morning.

If its a resource allocation problem in login.conf I'm mildly
dissapointed FreeBSD (RELENG_2_2) didn't handle it more gracefully.

Now off to see if I can do a "make release"...   :-)