Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:53:16 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

>One thing to keep in mind is that PCs also come in 4"x4"x4" cubes that
>are expandible via PC-104 bus cards.  Something like this could easily
>stack like firewood to fill a small space in little time.  Put a
>ramdisk or flashram card inot this mix, run FreeBSD on it and you have
>a nice little box.  I believe that these boxes are 100% PC compatible,
>but am not 100% positive.  They are showing up in places like the
>Circuit Cellar magazine.  I don't hink you'll find a pentium on one of
>these boxes, but I recall seeing 386 and 486 in them.

The real point here is that many "routers" are just re-packaged PCs...the
"smaller is better" argument applies if you're willing to make the necessary
trade-offs. Frankly, I'd rather have the benefits of a good sized hard drive and
expandabiltiy than to save a cubic foot of space. Rememberr that your talking
about 2 very different kinds of users....service providers and end users. From
an end users perspective there is no way that any stand-alone router can give
me more utility than my single-box freebsd server/router/gateway. Even if
service
providers use the "big net rack mount" type units in your facility, they can
score
points with their customers by giving them a rather impressive server/router
solution. And with protocols like Frame relay there are 50-100 times the
number of
end user units than there are service provider units.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX