Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:46:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@mindbender.serv.net>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and NT

> >I'm just using NT for web browsing and mail and I need to reboot
> >it every other day or so (just gets real slow)...It MIGHT be easier to
> >set up (I dont think it is....), but if something stops working  you have
> >to reinstall to get everything to work right again...its certainly much more
> >difficult to fine tune.
>
> I would guess that you have software doing something stupid, or you
> have something badly configured.

Or using NT as a developer.

> NT by itself (and NT with tons of development tools and such open)
> runs for weeks at a time without reboots, for me, and thousands of
> others.

I once believed that.  Recently I installed NT on a P6-200 box, and I
can crash it almost at will.  Also, Explorer misses files (which can you
see exist with the DOS window), screen updates are lost, graphics
updates are obnoxious, basically it's *NOWHERE* near as stable as the
FreeBSD that used to run on it. :(

I started asking around some of my 'NT' expert friends, and if you do
'development' on an NT box, it's *very* unstable.  Normal users can take
it out doing development, which *never* happens under unix.  These folks
have been doing NT development with pre-NT 3 betas, so are not new to
this.  But, the 'market' is in NT, so they stick with it and reboot
their machines 3-4 times/day, which has been typical behavior for M$
OS's since time began.

> Modern NT servers (as opposed to "workstations", which you
> described) are every bit as stable as Unix servers, with months of
> uptime.  FYI...

*Bwah, ha, ha ha*  I'll bet (I know) you work for M$, but that's the
funniest thing I've heard in awhile.

Nate

ps. NT 4.0 Workstation, ServicePack 3, + Java/Visual-Depth patch.