Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 08:04:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

> On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > useful (connectivity from California to Germany or OZ is unusably
> > slow or even non-existant during most parts of the business day now).
>
> Indiana seems to have a pretty decent German link, often better
> than to California!  I think the problem is at YOUR end Jordan.
> :)

Of course it is - I can even point you at the stupid SPRINT router
which is causing the problems.  However, I can't *do anything* about
this and so my only choice is to avoid going across the pond for stuff
whenever I can help it!

> In the long term, we have to consider our mirrors before we do
> anything that would make the web tree grow dramatically.

Maybe we should have less mirrors with a greater degree of committment. :-)

Seriously, I think we already have a LOT of mirrors in various states
of [dis]repair, and what we really need are fewer mirrors with more
dedication to running whatever darn CGI scripts or storing whatever
mailing list index data is required.  Trust me, even if we lost 70% of
our existing mirrors as a result of imposing such stringent
guidelines, I could get replacements for every one of them in less
than 60 days (assuming that we wanted that many replacements).  There
are at least 2 or 3 new "volunteers" sending messages to me or
admin@freebsd.org every day.

> Mirrors are fansatic, don't get me wrong, but the really put a
> crimp on freedom of design.  For example, lots of small CGIs

Exactly.  In a more well designed environment, the regional user could
click on just about any of the options and NOT get sent back to the
U.S. (it works both ways, after all) nor would others make similarly
goofy transits to get data which should be LOCAL (otherwise, what's
the real point of doing all this DNS frobulation and maintanance to
create the regional subdomains we have now?).

Even the stats are wiggy because of this.  I'd like to click on "About
this server" and get to see (for example) the *german* stats for the
German mirror, not www.freebsd.org's stats.

> A "mirror inspector" is one of the web support positions that I
> haven't seen much of any action on.  :(

I think this one's Ulf.  Ulf!  Wache auf! :-)

					Jordan